Dates & Prices for St. Avit 2020
St Avit is an authentic & historic place to paint. Best of the Dordogne, this is a chance to experience friendly french village life. There is a great studio for you. The first course is for beginners & is seven nights/eight days, where we look at the basics. The second course is for intermediate & adavnced painters, and is a ten day painting course. Competitive price. This course is for the semi-autonomous who can prepare their own breakfast & decide whether they wish to self-cater or enjoy the ‘menu-du-jour’ in the bistro together convivially with fellow students or dine out in the nice restaurant in the village. If you would like a holiday with all meals provided, why not take a look at our other venues Le Château de Sanse or Roussillon les Ocres.
Saturday 22 May – Monday 25 May 2020 : This 8 day/7 nights course is suitable for both beginners as well as intermediate and advanced. Suitable for absolute beginners.
Wednesday 3 June to Saturday 13 June 2020 : This 10 day/9 nights course is for intermediate and advanced. Good for confident beginners. Not suitable for absolute beginners.
Course times are 16hr first day & after breakfast last day. There’s also the option of doing both courses with a break of a few days in-between.
Average temperatures for May are normally between 15 to 23°C ( 59 – 72°F), agreeable to those who don’t like heat. It soon warms up in the strong southern sun. Expect a few days painting in the studio. May is late spring, bright southern light, flowers, blossom & lengthening days.
Average temperatures for June are 24°C (75°F) with a good chance of sunny days. June is early summer, high grass, wild flowers & the return of the swallows. The light is bright & the dusk falls after dinner.
The price for this workshop is suitable for those on a budget, who wish to have a long painting course.
You pay the course fees separately from the accommodation & cuisine. So the total price is made up from these:
* 650€ for the 10 Days Painting Course, unlimited use of the studio & transfers. Payable directly to Adam Cope. Online payment with credit card or bank transfer.
* 235€ for 9 Nights Accommodation. In a three star gite. No single person supplement. Payable directly to the gite owner. Couples can rent a private gite for themselves.
* Count about 215€ for self-catering & the other meals taken together in the Bistro (@ about 13€ for the ‘menu-du-jour’).
TOTAL = 1100 euros
* 10 day painting course with Adam Cope, one day of which is free time untutored where you can either paint in the studio or go out for the day.
* Max 10 students.
* UNESCO world heritage site, set in an authentic friendly rural french village.
* Spacious art studio in a historic building. Unlimited use.
* Tea bar in the Studio.
* Free ebook guide to materials & plein-air painting written by Adam.
* Painting furniture (easels, boards, sun umbrellas, stools, etc) & solvents, rags, pots, etc.
* Sketching in a colourful local market.
* Transfers to Bergerac airport or Lalinde train station on start & finish days. Pick up on start day before 15h30 fo rcourse start time at 16hr.
* Easy to get to! Bergerac airport. See our travel page
* Your travel. See our travel page.
* Your painting materials (except solvents, rags, boards & painting furniture which are supplied so you can travel lite).
* Possibility of renting a set of acrylics, alkyds or oil paints so that you can travel light. 35€ normal usage. Just bring your own brushes, canvas/canvas paper & drawing equipment.
* An optional day trip out to visit a prehistoric painted cave (with an in-depth presentation to prehistory) & sight-seeing in the Vézère valley (50€ extra per person, minimum three inscriptions, max six. Entrance to prehistoric cave @10€). Or you can chose to stay at St. Avit for a day of untutored painting.
* Your Food & Drinks.
* Your Accommodation.